I like hemp yarn so much that I decided to use it to crochet another bag which I call the Primrose Bag. Check out my other two bag designs, also made with Lion Brand Just Hemp yarn – Brickwall Tote and Jambo Bag.
Primrose Bag is fairly easy to make – first we crochet 8 flower squares, then stitch them together for two sides. Then we crochet the side panels and attach the two sides. And we finish with crocheting the edge and handles. With this bulky yarn the squares work up quickly and the assembly is effortless.
VIDEO TUTORIAL OF PRIMROSE BAG
WRITTEN PATTERN OF PRIMROSE BAG
If you prefer ad-free printable PDF pattern, you can get it on:
I use Lion Brand Just Hemp yarn, colors Primrose (color A) and Moss (color B). It is bulky yarn size 5. It is 100% hemp and the ball size is 93yds/85m, 3.5oz/100g. You’ll need 2 balls of color A and 1 ball of color B. Crochet hook is 5.5 mm. My bag measures about 13 inches from top to bottom and 11.5 inches from side to side, and the handles are about 15 inches long.
Abbreviations: ch = chain sl st = slip stitch tr = triple crochet sc = single crochet tr2tog = triple crochet 2 together hdc = half double crochet beg = beginning dc = double crochet hdc2tog = half double crochet 2 together
STEP 1 – 8 FLOWER SQUARES
- With color A ch 6, sl st in 1st ch to make a ring.
- Round 1 = (ch 4, tr in the ring, ch 4, sc in the ring) 7 times, ch 4, tr2tog in the ring.
- Round 2 = (ch 4, sc in next tr) 8 times, cut off, fasten off color A.
- Round 3 = Join color B in last ch4-space and ch 3 (counts as hdc and ch), (hdc 5 in next ch4-space, ch 1) 7 times, hdc 4 in 1st ch4-space, sl st in 2nd beg ch.
- Round 4 = sl st in next ch1-space, ch 6 (counts as tr and 2ch), *dc in next hdc, ch 2, skip next st, hdc in next st, ch 2, skip next st, hdc in next st, ch 2, skip ch1-space, hdc in next st, ch 2, skip next st, hdc in next st, ch 2, skip next st, dc in next st, ch 2, tr in next ch1-space, ch 2, repeat from*, end the round with dc in last st, ch 2 and sl st in 4th beg ch, cut off yarn leaving 22-inch tail, fasten off color B.
STEP 2 – ATTACH SQUARES
- Using tapestry needle and long tails stitch 4 squares together to make a big square for the 1st side of bag, repeat the same for the 2nd side of bag. Weave in all ends.
STEP 3 – SIDE PANEL
- Round 1 = join color A in any corner tr of the first big square, hdc 1 in each next ch-space and in each next st, in connection point of 2 squares hdc 1 in first corner tr, hdc 1 in connection space, hdc 1 in second tr, continue with hdc in each ch-space and in each st on three sides of big square.
- Round 2 = ch 1, turn, hdc in each hdc, cut off, fasten off color A on first big square.
- Repeat rounds 1-2 on second big square but don’t cut off yarn.
- Place 2 big squares on top of each other right side facing, inserting hook through back loops (most upper loop on each hdc) of each hdc on both sides, sl st in each hdc to attach 2 big squares, don’t cut off yarn.
- Turn the bag right side out.
STEP 4 – EDGE AND HANDLES
- Round 1 = ch 2 (counts as 1st hdc throughout), hdc 3 in side space of color A side panel stitches, hdc 1 in each next ch-space and in each next st, in connection point of 2 squares hdc 1 in first corner tr, hdc 1 in connection space, hdc 1 in second tr, continue with hdc in each ch-space and in each st, on the second side panel hdc 7, continue with hdc in each ch-space and in each st, on the first side panel hdc 3 (76 hdc), sl st in 2nd beg ch.
- Round 2 = ch 2, hdc in next st, hdc2tog in next 2 st, hdc 1 in each next 15 st, hdc2tog in next 2 st, hdc 1 in each next 14 st, hdc2tog in next 2 st, hdc 1 in each next 3 st, hdc2tog in next 2 st, hdc 1 in each next 15 st, hdc2tog in next 2 st, hdc 1 in each next 14 st, hdc2tog in next 2 st, hdc 1 in last st (70 hdc), sl st in 2nd beg ch.
- Round 3 = ch 2, hdc 1 in each next 8 st, ch 50 for first handle, skip 17 st, hdc 1 in each next 18 st, ch 50 for second handle, skip 17 st, hdc in each next 9 st, sl st in 2nd beg ch.
- Round 4 = ch 2, hdc in each st and in each ch all around, sl st in 2nd beg ch.
- Round 5 = ch 2, hdc in each st around, sl st in 2nd beg ch, cut off color A, fasten off.
Check out all my crochet bag tutorials & patterns here.
You may not sell my pattern or claim it as your own.
You may make items to sell (i.e. on Etsy, at craft fairs) from my pattern but I ask that you link back to my blog handmadebyraine.com and provide credit for the pattern.
You are welcome to share my pattern on social media as long as you link back directly to my blog post (providing the link). No copy & paste of my pattern will be allowed under any circumstances.
Some links in this post are affiliate, meaning I’ll make a small commission if you make a purchase, but this is at no cost to you.