I modified my Ukraine Flower Bookmark and out came a simpler version to crochet this Flower Bookmark.
Same as Ukraine bookmark, with the Flower Bookmark pattern you will learn or practice tapestry crochet technique which uses two colors of thread and single crochet stitches. To make it look nice and even I use crochet knit stitch, aka waistcoat stitch, which means inserting hook between vertical loops of single crochet stitch, not under the horizontal loops as usual.
The bookmark definitely needs blocking after you finish it. Make it wet, stretch it out on blocking mat and attach it with pins. Trim the ends. I also spray some starch to give it extra firm shape. Let it dry completely before removing the pins. Please the video tutorial below how I block my bookmark.
VIDEO TUTORIAL OF FLOWER BOOKMARK
WRITTEN PATTERN OF FLOWER BOOKMARK
I use Aunt Lydia’s crochet thread size 3, colors Warm Teal (color A) and Soft Mauve (color B). One ball has 150 yds and one of each is enough. Crochet hook is size 2 mm. My bookmark measures about 2.25 inches wide and 10.5 inches long.
Abbreviations: ch = chain sc = single crochet A1 = sc 1 with color A B2 = sc 2 with color B Special stitches: crochet knit stitch (waistcoat stitch) = with each single crochet stitch insert hook between 2 vertical loops of sc on previous row instead of under horizontal loops as usual Pattern notes: 1. Read the chart from right to left. 2. Start each row by joining thread in first stitch. 3. Fasten off and cut off yarn at the end of each row. 4. Always keep 2nd thread inside stitches.
- With color A ch 58, cut off, fasten off.
- Row 1 = with color A sc in each ch (58 sc).
- Row 2 = join color A in 1st ch, keeping color B inside stitches sc 7 with color A, don’t finish the last sc but keep last 2 loops on hook, change to color B and pull it through 2 loops (= switching colors here and throughout), sc 2 with color B keeping color A inside stitches, [finish 2nd sc with color A and sc 19 (always keep the second thread inside the stitches), finish 19th sc with color B and sc 2] twice, finish 2nd sc with color A and sc 7.
- Row 3 = A6, B4, A8, B2, A7, B4, A8, B2, A7, B4, A6
- Row 4 = A6, B5, A6, B4, A6, B5, A6, B4, A6, B5, A5
- Row 5 = A2, B3, A1, B4, A1, B3, A2, B3, A1, B1, A2, B3, A1, B4, A1, B3, A2, B3, A1, B1, A2, B3, A1, B4, A1, B3, A2
- Row 6 = A1, B5, A1, B2, A1, B5, A1, B3, A3, B5, A1, B2, A1, B5, A1, B3, A3, B5, A1, B2, A1, B5, A1
- Row 7 = A1, B6, A2, B6, A2, B3, A2, B6, A2, B6, A2, B3, A2, B6, A2, B6, A1
- Row 8 = A2, B4, A1, B2, A1, B4, A4, B3, A2, B4, A1, B2, A1, B4, A4, B3, A2, B4, A1, B2, A1, B4, A2
- Row 9 = A6, B4, A17, B4, A17, B4, A6
- Row 10 = repeat row 8
- Row 11 = repeat row 7
- Row 12 = repeat row 6
- Row 13 = repeat row 5
- Row 14 = repeat row 4
- Row 15 = repeat row 3
- Row 16 = repeat row 2
- Row 17 = A58
Would you like more gift ideas? Check out my other tutorials of crochet gifts.
You may not sell my pattern or claim it as your own.
You may make items to sell (i.e. on Etsy, at craft fairs) from my pattern but I ask that you link back to my blog handmadebyraine.com and provide credit for the pattern.
You are welcome to share my pattern on social media as long as you link back directly to my blog post (providing the link). No copy & paste of my pattern will be allowed under any circumstances.
Some links are affiliate, meaning I’ll make a small commission if you make a purchase, but this is at no cost to you.