Lion Brand Just Hemp is such a perfect yarn for bags and totes, it inspired me to design another easy crochet bag called Brickwall Tote. Check out my first Just Hemp crochet bag Jambo Bag.
I combined Just Hemp colors Clay and Natural with brick crochet stitch, which is really easy and creates the visual of a brick wall. It’s probably the easiest bag names I’ve ever had to come up with for my design!
I like Just Hemp yarn for crochet bags because it’s very sturdy and the finished bag will stretch less than cotton bags. I’ve also used finer hemp yarn for gift bags, and I think they look adorable!
VIDEO TUTORIAL OF BRICKWALL TOTE
WRITTEN PATTERN OF BRICKWALL TOTE
If you prefer ad-free printable PDF pattern, you can get it on:
I use Lion Brand Just Hemp yarn, colors Clay (color A) and Natural (color B). It is bulky yarn size 5. It is 100% hemp and the ball size is 93yds/85m, 3.5oz/100g. You’ll need 2 balls of color A and 1 ball of color B. Crochet hook is 6 mm. Stitch marker will be helpful too! My bag measures about 10 inches wide and 12.5 inches from top edge to bottom.
Abbreviations: ch = chain sc - single crochet blo = back loops only sl st = slip stitch dc = double crochet Pattern notes: For each additional 'brick' add 3 chains for foundation: ch 36 - round 1 - sc 3+33+3+33 = 72 ch 39 - round 1 - sc 3+36+3+36 = 78 ch 42 - round 1 - sc 3+39+3+39 = 81
- With color A ch 33.
- Round 1 – sc 3 in 2nd ch from hook, sc 1 in each next 30 ch, sc 3 in last ch, sc 1 in each opposite loop of foundation ch, sl st in 1st sc (66 sc).
- Round 2 – ch 1, sc blo in each st, sl st in 1st sc.
- Round 3 – sl st in each st, insert stitch marker in 1st sl st, sl st in blo of 1st sl st.
- Round 4 – ch 1, sc in upper loops of each sl st (the two sl st loops will remain unworked in front), sl st in 1st sc. Don’t cut off yarn, insert stitch marker in working loop.
- Round 5 – join color B with sc in same st where last sl st was made, ch 2, skip 2 sc, *sc in next sc, ch 2, skip 2 sc, repeat from*, sl st in 1st sc. Don’t cut off yarn, insert stitch marker in working loop.
- Round 6 – continue with color A, remove stitch marker from loop, insert hook through 1st ch2-space of color B, insert hook also through color A working loop, pull it from back to front and ch 3 (counts as 1st dc), dc 2 in same ch2-space, ch 1, *dc 3 in next ch2-space, ch 1, repeat from*, sl st in 3rd beg ch. Insert stitch marker in working loop.
- Round 7 – remove stitch marker from color B loop, ch 3 behind the last ch1-space of color A, insert hook through same ch1-space and sc, ch 2, *sc in next ch1-space, ch 2, repeat from*, sl st in 1st sc. Insert stitch marker in working loop.
- Round 8 – remove stitch marker from color A loop, with color A loop on hook (behind the first ch2-space of color B) insert hook through same ch2-space from front to back, yarn over and pull it through the loop on hook, ch 3 (counts as 1st dc), dc 2 in same ch2-space, ch 1, *dc 3 in next ch2-space, ch 1, repeat from*, sl st in 3rd beg ch. Insert stitch marker in working loop.
- Rounds 9-24 – repeat rounds 7-8. At the end of last color B round cut off yarn.
EDGE AND HANDLES
- Round 25 – ch 1, sc in each dc, skip ch1-spaces, sl st in 1st sc (66 sc).
- Round 26 – sl st in each st, sl st in blo of 1st sl st.
- Round 27 – ch 1, sc in upper loops of each sl st, sl st in 1st sc.
- Round 28 – ch 1, sc in same st, sc 1 in each next 8 sc, ch 20, skip 12 sc, sc 1 in each next 21 sc, ch 20, skip 12 sc, sc 1 in each next 12 sc, sl st in 1st sc.
- Round 29 – ch 1, sc in each sc and in each ch, sl st in 1st sc.
- Round 30 – ch 1, sc in each sc, sl st in 1st sc.
- Round 31 – sl st in each st, fasten cut off.
- Weave in all ends.
Check out all my crochet bag tutorials & patterns here.
You may not sell my pattern or claim it as your own.
You may make items to sell (i.e. on Etsy, at craft fairs) from my pattern but I ask that you link back to my blog handmadebyraine.com and provide credit for the pattern.
You are welcome to share my pattern on social media as long as you link back directly to my blog post (providing the link). No copy & paste of my pattern will be allowed under any circumstances.
Some links in this post are affiliate, meaning I’ll make a small commission if you make a purchase, but this is at no cost to you.