Hemp Gift Bag is fun and easy little crochet project that can be completed in one sitting. I did!
It’s easy to adjust the size of the Hemp Gift Bag by just using bigger size of yarn or adding rounds. If you need wider bag, then this pattern is multiple of 8. But in order to start the bag base pattern with correct amount of chains, you will need to add 4 chains for each additional repeat. For example, my bag starts with 33 chains, and you will see in the pattern that the first base round ends with 66 sc and second round ends with 72 sc. And 72 is multiple of 8 which we need for the pattern. Then adding one pattern repeat means you will first chain 4 more = 37 ch for the foundation. The first round of base will have 74 sc (= 3 sc on one end, 34 sc between, 3 sc on other end, 34 sc between), and on second round you will increase by 6 sc and have 80 sc total.
And my Amazon picks of handcrafted items to put in the gift bag:
VIDEO TUTORIAL OF HEMP GIFT BAG
WRITTEN PATTERN OF HEMP GIFT BAG
If you prefer ad-free printable PDF pattern, you can get it on:
I use Lang Canapa 100% hemp yarn for the small bag that measures about 5 inches wide and 5.5 inches long. Crochet hook is 2.75 mm. For the bigger bag I use Patons Hempster yarn which is a blend of hemp and cotton, crochet hook is 4 mm and the bag measures about 6.5 inches wide and 7 inches long.
Find all the buying options of Lang Canapa yarn on Ravelry.
My Amazon picks:
Abbreviations: ch = chain sc = single crochet sl st = slip stitch hdc = half double crochet dc = double crochet beg = beginning fpdc = front post double crochet
- Bag Base
- ch 33
- Round 1 – sc 3 in 2nd ch from the hook, sc 1 in each next 30 ch, sc 3 in last ch, sc 30 in opposite loops of chains (66 sc), sl st in 1st sc.
- Round 2 – ch 1, (sc 2 in each next 3 sc, sc 1 in each next 30 sc) twice (72 sc), sl st in 1st sc.
- Bag Body
- Round 1 – ch 2 (counts as 1st hdc), hdc in next sc, skip 2 sc, dc 2 in next sc, ch 2, dc 2 in next sc, skip 2 sc, *hdc 1 in each next 2 sc, skip 2 sc, dc 2 in next sc, ch 2, dc 2 in next sc, skip 2 sc, repeat from*, sl st in 2nd beg ch.
- Round 2 – ch 1, fpdc around the beg 2ch, fpdc around the post of next hdc, in next ch2-space dc2+ch2+dc2, *fpdc 1 around each next 2 hdc, in next ch2-space dc2+ch2+dc2, repeat from*, sl st in top of beg fpdc.
- Rounds 3-14 – ch 1, *fpdc around each next 2 fpdc, in next ch2-space dc2+ch2+dc2, repeat from*, sl st in top of beg fpdc.
- Edge and handles
- Round 1 – ch 2 (counts as 1st hdc), hdc in next fpdc, sc 1 in each next 2 dc, sc 1 in next ch2-space, sc 1 in each next 2 dc, *hdc 1 in each next 2 fpdc, sc 1 in each next 2 dc, sc 1 in next ch2-space, sc 1 in each next 2 dc, repeat from* (63 stitches), sl st in 2nd beg ch.
- Round 2 – ch 1, sc 1 in each next 12 st, ch 20 for 1st handle, skip 13 st, sc 1 in each next 18 st, ch 20 for 2nd handle, skip 14 st, sc in each next 6 st, sl st in 1st sc.
- Round 3 – ch 1, sc 1 in each sc and in each ch, sl st in 1st sc.
- Fasten off, cut off yarn, weave in ends.
If you enjoyed making this gift bag, check out my other tutorials of crochet gifts.
You may not sell my pattern or claim it as your own.
You may make items to sell (i.e. on Etsy, at craft fairs) from my pattern but I ask that you link back to my blog handmadebyraine.com and provide credit for the pattern.
You are welcome to share my pattern on social media as long as you link back directly to my blog post (providing the link). No copy & paste of my pattern will be allowed under any circumstances.