Perfect time to crochet whimsical cat hat as the fall weather is settling in and Halloween is creeping closer. The hat is fun to make and fun to wear!
And by the way, happy I LOVE YARN DAY!!
I was inspired by my many previous crochet projects to design this hat and I hope you like crocheting this one as much as I did.
I used Caron Simply Soft yarn which is great for all types of hats because of its bright colors and smooth silky texture. Check out my other hat tutorials using Caron Simply Soft yarn:
Messy bun hat: https://handmadebyraine.com/messy-bun-hat/
Shamrock cone hat: https://handmadebyraine.com/shamrock-hat/
In case you want to use a different yarn, check out this great source for yarn substitution.
VIDEO TUTORIAL TO CROCHET CAT HAT
WRITTEN PATTERN OF CAT HAT
If you prefer ad-free printable PDF pattern, you can get it on:
You will need medium weight (size 4) yarn and crochet hook size 5 mm. Crochet part of the hat is easy, stitching the cat face can get tricky, so I recommend watching my video for illustration. I hope this helps!
My Amazon picks:
- ch = chain
- sl st = slip stitch
- R = round
- dc = double crochet
- beg = beginning
- hdc = half double crochet
- Ch 70 and sl st in 1st ch.
- R1 – ch 3 (counts as 1st dc) and dc 1 in each ch, sl st in 3rd beg ch. Total 70 dc.
- R2-10 repeat R1.
- R11 – ch 2 and hdc in back loops only, sl st in 2nd beg ch.
- R12 – ch 2 and hdc in front loops only, sl st in 2nd beg ch.
- R13-18 repeat rounds 11 and 12. Fasten off.
- Using the beginning yarn tail or cutting a new strand stitch the top of the hat by inserting needle through the base chain loops (please see the video).
- Nose – using two strands of yarn together insert the needle through the center space counting up 7th row from the edge, from inside out (please see the video), make a loop reaching back inside the hat and inserting needle through the same space again. Repeat this five times.
- Whiskers – first whisker: make 6 back stitches by inserting needle right above and along the horizontal loops on the 6th row from the edge; second whisker: make 6 back stitches above and along the loops on the 4th row from the edge; third whisker: make 7 back stitches above and along the loops on the 2nd row from the edge.
- Eyes – using two strands together insert needle through the space above 8th row from the edge and two stitches from the center, from inside out. Make 3 long horizontal back stitches, then make 2 vertical stitches the length of 1 dc, then make 3 more long back stitches back towards the beginning spot forming a triangle.
- Ears – laying the hat flat, reach the top corner and using two strands of yarn together insert needle through the space below the first dc row and about the same distance (2 dc) from the side, from inside out, make a very long vertical stitch across 4 dc rows down inserting needle back inside the hat right below the 5th dc row and come back out the same beginning space, make five shorter stitches to form the ear triangle always going back up through the beginning corner space, make the 7th long horizontal stitch across 6 dc. Weave in all ends.
You may not sell my pattern or claim it as your own.
You may make items to sell (i.e. on Etsy, at craft fairs) from my pattern but I ask that you link back to my blog and provide credit for the pattern.
You are welcome to share my pattern on social media as long as you link back directly to my blog post (providing the link). No copy & paste of my pattern will be allowed under any circumstances.