Messy bun hat aka ponytail hat is such a fun piece of accessory. Ever since I found about this idea I was excited to make one for myself and I found great yarn for it – Caron Simply Soft. It really is soft and makes the hat stretchy for perfect fit.
VIDEO TUTORIAL OF MESSY BUN HAT
WRITTEN PATTERN OF MESSY BUN HAT
For the purple hat in video tutorial I used Caron Simply Soft Ombre grape purple which makes the cute stripy hat. You will also need elastic hairband and crochet hook size 5.5 mm.
In case you want to use a different yarn, check out this great source for yarn substitution.
My Amazon picks:
Abbreviations: hdc = half double crochet sl st = slip stitch dc = double crochet beg ch = beginning chain fpdc = front post double crochet sc = single crochet
- Make a slip knot, keep it on hook and yarn over so you will have 2 loops on hook. Insert hook through the hairband, pull yarn through, yarn over again (reaching over the hairband) and pull through 3 loops on hook. This is the 1st hdc.
- Round 1 – crochet 29 more hdc so you will have total of 30 hdc. Sl st in 1st st.
- Round 2 – ch 2, dc 1 in each next st, total 30 dc, sl st in 2nd beg ch.
- Round 3 – ch 2, dc 1 in next st, fpdc around the post of SAME dc that you just made regular dc:
Front post double crochet = yarn over and insert hook from front to back around the post of same dc on previous round, yarn over again, pull it through, then work dc as usual, pull through first 2 loops on hook, and pull through last 2 loops on hook = please see video for illustration
- Continue round 2 – dc 1 in next st, fpdc around the post of same dc. So you increase in every stitch – dc1+fpdc1 in every stitch, total 60 st. Sl st in 2nd beg ch.
- Repeat round 3, always dc in next dc and fpdc around post of next fpdc.
- Make total of 16 rounds of dc+fpdc rounds.
- Hat edge: ch 1 and hdc in 3rd loop of each st around. When you usually see the 2 loops on top of each stitch, don’t insert hook on these but reach behind the stitch and find the 3rd horizontal loop and hdc into that (please see video for illustration). This will create a beautiful look of knitted edge. Sl st in beg ch.
- Repeat the last round.
- Last round: ch 1 and sc in 3rd loop in the back of each hdc. Sl st in beg ch and fasten off.
Please share the photo of your hat on my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/handmadebyraine/
or Instagram @handmadebyraine
Check out all my tutorials of hats & beanies.
DISCLAIMER: I take no credit for this FREE pattern as it is not my design. DO NOT try to sell the pattern or pass it off as your own. However, you are welcome to sell your products made with the pattern. Unfortunately I don’t have the name but thank you to the designer of this free pattern!