How cute is the mini backpack! And it’s practical – important little things like keys, lipsticks and coins fit in perfectly. It’s really easy to make too.
Below you will find my video tutorial and written pattern to crochet mini backpack.
Please let me know if you have any questions or feedback, I’d love to hear from you!
Also check out my tutorial of bigger backpack that you can carry around: how to crochet backpack
VIDEO TUTORIAL OF MINI BACKPACK
SITI RAHMAH You’re very talented teacher, enjoy watching your crochet tutorial, I shall try out this mini backpack, it’s so cute 😍Patricia Phillips This is the best tutorial I’ve seen for this bag. I am so glad that you made this video.Nielly I’m making one right now (already made the “pouch”, now I’m on the flap) and I just had to stop and tell you this is one the best tutorials on YouTube. Very clear instructions, the speed is perfect, not too fast, not too slow, you skip exactly what you need to skip and do on camera exactly what you need to do on camera. Your voice is nice and clear and the angle you shoot is perfect too, with good lighting. I’m definitely checking your other tutorials and I hope you keep them coming! Thanks for posting!
WRITTEN PATTERN OF MINI BACKPACK
The mini backpack measures about 3 inches wide and 4 inches long.
- 3.75 mm crochet hook
- DMC denim light blue and Lion Brand Jeans brown
Abbreviations: R = round sc = single crochet sl st = slip stitch ch = chain
- R1 – make a magic ring and sc 8 in the ring, sl st in 1st sc.
- R2 – ch 1 and sc 2 in each st = increase in each st – total 16 sc, sl st in 1st sc.
- R3 – ch 1 and sc 1 in 1st st, sc 2 in 2nd st = increase in every other st, repeat all around – total 24 sc, sl st in 1st sc.
- R4 – ch 1 and sc 1 in each next 2 st, sc 2 in 3rd st = increase in every 3rd st, repeat all around – total 32 sc, sl st in 1st sc.
- R5-17 – ch 1 and sc in each st around – 32 sc on each round, sl st in 1st sc.
- R18 – ch 1 and sc 1 in each next 3 st, ch1 and skip 1 sc, sc 1 in each next 3 st, ch1 and skip 1 sc, repeat all around, you will have 8 string holes, sl st in 1st sc.
- R19 – ch 1 and sc in each st around – total 32 sc, sl st in 1st sc.
- R20 – sl st in each st around, fasten off and cut off the yarn.
- Backpack flap – repeat rounds 1-3, then sl st in next 6 sc, (sc 1 in each next 2 sc and sc 2 in the next) three times, ch 5 to make a buttonhole, (sc 1 in each next 2 sc and sc 2 in the next) three times, sl st in first st.
- Optional: you can add another round to the flap like my dark blue and brown backpacks have – sl st in each st and sc 5 in buttonhole chain space (I wanted to skip this row on light blue bag for different look).
- Attach the flap to bag with 6 slip stitches, don’t cut off the yarn.
- Handle – ch 8 and sl st in stitch through main part and flap where you started attaching the flap, turn and sc 8 in ch space, sl st through flap and main part where you ended attaching the flap, fasten off, cut off.
- Braided string – cut 3 strands each 30 cm (appr. 12 in) long, make a knot and braid strings, make an end knot, the braid should measure appr. 8 inches from one knot to the other.
- Insert the string through the holes of the bag on R18.
- Backpack straps – with brown yarn ch 13, sc in 2nd ch from hook and each ch across – total 12 sc, turn and sl st in each st.
- Use beginning and end tails to sew the strap on the back of the bag.
- Sew the button on 5th row from the top.
- Weave in all ends.
Check out my pink and red mini backpacks: https://handmadebyraine.com/more-mini-backpacks/
DISCLAIMER: I take no credit for this FREE pattern as it is not my design. DO NOT try to sell the pattern or pass it off as your own. However, you are welcome to sell your products made with the pattern. Thank you to the designer of this free pattern!
I used the same DMC Natura Just Cotton Denim yarn for my XOXO bags and denim bag. Read more about them here: