The war in Ukraine has affected us all, and to give my little contribution I designed this Ukraine Flower Bookmark. I will donate all proceeds from selling the crochet pattern and bookmark itself to RED CROSS and UNICEF. I hope you like this pattern and buy it so we can help Ukraine together!
NB! I am switching my donations to World Vision from Red Cross per one of my YouTube audience member request.
We are on the ground in Eastern Europe preparing to meet the needs of vulnerable children and families who have been forcibly displaced due to the escalating crisis in Ukraine. Vulnerable women and children will bear the brunt of this crisis. Your donation can help provide children and families searching for a safe haven with protection and psychosocial support including Child-Friendly Spaces in neighboring countries in the Middle East and Eastern European region.www.worldvision.org
With Ukraine Flower Bookmark pattern you will learn or practice tapestry crochet technique which uses two colors of thread and only single crochet stitches. I also use crochet knit stitch, aka waistcoat stitch, that makes it look like it’s knitted.
The bookmark definitely needs blocking after you finish it. Make it wet, stretch it out on blocking mat and attach it with pins. I also spray some starch to give it extra firm shape. Let it dry completely before removing the pins.
VIDEO TUTORIAL OF UKRAINE FLOWER BOOKMARK
WRITTEN PATTERN OF UKRAINE FLOWER BOOKMARK
Ad-free printable PDF pattern is available on:
I use Aunt Lydia’s crochet thread size 3, colors Blue Hawaii (color A) and Maize (color B). One ball has 150 yds and one of each is enough. Crochet hook is size 2 mm. My bookmark measures about 2.25 inches wide and 10.5 inches long.
Abbreviations: ch = chain sc = single crochet Special stitches: crochet knit stitch (waistcoat stitch = with each single crochet stitch insert hook between 2 vertical loops of sc on previous row instead of under horizontal loops as usual. Pattern notes: Fasten off and cut off yarn at the end of each row. A1 = sc 1 with color A B2 = sc 2 with color B
- With color A ch 59, cut off, fasten off.
- Row 1 = with color A sc in each ch (59 sc).
- Row 2 = *(with color B sc 1 and keep color A inside the stitch, don’t finish 1st sc but keep last 2 loops on hook, change to color A and pull it through 2 loops (= switching colors here and throughout), sc 1 with color A keeping color B inside stitch, don’t finish 2nd sc but keep last 2 loops on hook, change to B) twice (=B1, A1, B1, A1), then sc 2 with color B, sc 1 with color A, sc 2 with B, sc 2 with A, sc 1 with B, sc 3 with A, sc 1 with B, sc 5 with A, repeat from* and follow the chart until the end of row.
- Row 3 = A1, *B4, A1, B4, A1, B2, A1, B3, A1, B2, A2, repeat from*
- Row 4 = *A6, B5, A4, B1, A1, B4, repeat from*
- Row 5 = *A2, B3, A1, B4, A1, B3, A2, B3, A1, B1, repeat from*
- Row 6 = A1, *B5, A1, B2, A1, B5, A1, B3, A3, repeat from*
- Row 7 = A1, *B6, A2, B6, A2, B3, A2, repeat from*
- Row 8 = *A2, B4, A1, B2, A1, B4, A4, B3, repeat from*
- Row 9 = *B2, A4, B4, A4, B4, A3, repeat from*
- Row 10 = repeat row 8
- Row 11 = repeat row 7
- Row 12 = repeat row 6
- Row 13 = repeat row 5
- Row 14 = repeat row 4
- Row 15 = repeat row 3
- Row 16 = repeat row 2
- Row 17 = A59
Would you like more gift ideas? Check out my other tutorials of crochet gifts.
You may not sell my pattern or claim it as your own.
You may make items to sell (i.e. on Etsy, at craft fairs) from my pattern but I ask that you link back to my blog handmadebyraine.com and provide credit for the pattern.
You are welcome to share my pattern on social media as long as you link back directly to my blog post (providing the link). No copy & paste of my pattern will be allowed under any circumstances.