Here is the second crochet design in my Barbie Musician Outfit Collection – Barbie Singer Dress.
This dress is also made with fine thread and hook to achieve the look of fine garment. The stitch used in this pattern is called “almond stitch” and it’s easy, just alternating single, half and double crochet stitches to get the wavy look. You will also learn an easy special stitch called “spike stitch”.
The Barbie Singer Dress is made in 4 steps:
- Dress rectangular piece
- Side edge and buttonloops
- Shoulder straps
VIDEO TUTORIAL OF BARBIE SINGER DRESS
WRITTEN PATTERN OF BARBIE SINGER DRESS
I recommend metallic thread like Liz Metallic for this dress to give it some extra sparkle. Liz Metallic (size 20) dark pink is color A and DMC (size 8) light grey is color B. One ball of each color is enough. Crochet hook is 1.75 mm. You’ll also need 6 tiny buttons (1/4-inch) for back closure.
Abbreviations: ch = chain sc = single crochet hdc = half double crochet dc = double crochet sl st = slip stitch Special sitches: Spike sc = work sc in skipped st three rows below. Pattern notes: The whole dress is worked in one piece, in rows from bottom to top.
- With color A ch 52.
- Row 1 = sc in 2nd ch from hook, sc in each ch (51 sc), finish last sc with color B (= pull up loop in last ch with color A, make a slip knot with color B, pull slip knot through 2 loops on hook, don’t cut off color A).
- Row 2 = with color B ch 1, turn, sc in first sc, *sc in next sc, hdc in next sc, dc 1 in each next 5 sc, hdc in next sc, sc in next sc, ch 1, skip next sc, repeat from*, sc in last sc.
- Row 3 = ch 1, turn, sc in first sc, *sc in next sc, hdc in next hdc, dc 1 in each next 5 dc, hdc in next hdc, sc in next sc, ch 1, skip 1ch, repeat from*, sc in last sc and finish it with color A, don’t cut off color B.
- Row 4 = with color A ch 1, turn, sc in first sc, *sc 1 in each next 9 st, spike sc in skipped sc three rows below, repeat from*, sc 1 in each next 10 sc.
- Row 5 = ch 1, turn, sc in each sc (51 sc), finish last sc with color B.
- Row 6 = with color B ch 3 (counts as 1st dc), turn, *dc in each next 2 sc, hdc in next sc, sc in next sc, ch 1, skip next sc, sc in next sc, hdc in next sc, dc 1 in each next 3 sc, repeat from*.
- Row 7 = ch 3 (counts as 1st dc), turn, *dc in each next 2 dc, hdc in next hdc, sc in next sc, ch 1, skip 1ch, sc in next sc, hdc in next hdc, dc 1 in each next 3 dc, repeat from*, finish last dc with color A.
- Row 8 = with color A ch 1, turn, sc in each of first 5 sc, *spike sc in skipped sc three rows below, sc in each next 9 st, repeat from*, sc 1 in each next 5 st.
- Row 9 = ch 1, turn, sc in each sc, finish last sc with color B.
- Rows 10-41 = repeat rows 2-9. Cut off color B at the end of row 39, don’t cut off color A at the end of row 41. The last row 41 is the right side of dress.
SIDE EDGE & BUTTONLOOPS
- Turn the piece sideways to stitch along the side edge.
- Sc in end space of each row: after 2nd sc – ch 4 for 1st buttonloop, sl st in same st, sc 7, ch 4, sl st in same st, (sc 9, ch 4, sl st in same st) 3 times, sc 7, ch 4, sl st in same st, sc 1, sl st in end space of last row, cut off color A.
- Join color A with sl st in 8th sc on last row of dress, ch 14, skip 9 sc, sl st in next sc, sl st also in next sc, turn, sc in each 14 ch, sl st in next sc (7th sc on last row of dress), cut off, fasten off.
- Repeat same for the 2nd shoulder strap.
- Put the dress on Barbie and mark the spots for buttons with pins.
- Using color B thread sew the buttons on.
- Weave in all ends.
If you enjoyed making this dress, check out all my Barbie outfit patterns.
You may not sell my pattern or claim it as your own.
You may make items to sell (i.e. on Etsy, at craft fairs) from my pattern but I ask that you link back to my blog handmadebyraine.com and provide credit for the pattern.
You are welcome to share my pattern on social media as long as you link back directly to my blog post (providing the link). No copy & paste of my pattern will be allowed under any circumstances.
Some links are affiliate, meaning I’ll make a small commission if you make a purchase, but this is at no cost to you.