Here is the video tutorial and written pattern to crochet the cute little backpack for Barbie.
VIDEO TUTORIAL OF BARBIE BACKPACK
New! Give your Barbie fan a gift of 4 fabulous Barbie outfit crochet patterns! You have an option to buy and print out PDF ebook on Ravelry or Etsy. Or enjoy the fast Prime delivery of Amazon Paperback (you get the actual pattern book shipped to you) or download the Kindle ebook here:
WRITTEN PATTERN OF BARBIE BACKPACK
If you prefer ad-free printable PDF pattern, please click here.
I use Patons Grace Aquifer yarn for the back, white Snow yarn for the string and a button. Crochet hook size 3.5 mm.
My Amazon picks:
Abbreviations: ch = chain sc = single crochet st = stitch sl st = slip stitch beg = beginning hdc = half double crochet
- Make a magic ring and sc 8 times in the ring.
- Increase in each st = 2 sc in each st – total 16 sc.
- Increase in every other st = 1 sc in 1st st, 2 sc in 2nd st, repeat all around – total 24 sc.
- Increase in every 3rd st = 1 sc in 1st, 1 sc in 2nd, 2 sc in 3rd st, repeat all around – total 32 sc.
- Ch 1 and half double crochet in each st around, sl st in beg ch – total 32 hdc.
- Repeat round 5 and make total of 6 hdc rounds.
- String holes – Ch 1, hdc 1 in each next 2 hdc, *ch 1 and skip 1, hdc 1 in each next 3 hdc*, repeat ** 6 more times to have 8 string holes, sl st in beg st.
- Slip stitch in each hdc and ch space, fasten off.
- Flap – repeat steps 1-3, then sl st in 6 st, 1 sc in each next 2 sc and 2 sc in next, 1 sc in each next 2 sc and 2 sc in next, 1 sc in each next 2 sc and 2sc in next, ch 5 to make a buttonhole, 1 sc in each next 2 sc and 2 sc in next, 1 sc in each next 2 sc and 2 sc in next, 1 sc in each next 2 sc and 2sc in next, sl st in first st.
- attach the flap to bag with 6 sl stitches (you can make one more sl st to secure the flap corner) and ch 6 for handle, sl st next to the 1st attachment st to secure the second corner of flap.
- Braided string – cut 3 strands each 15 inches long with second color, make a knot and braid the string, make an end knot, it should measure appr. 8 inches from one knot to the other.
- Insert string through the holes of the bag.
- Backpack straps – attach main color yarn to a bottom 1st hdc row where you want the strap to start and ch 19, attach to hdc right under the string next to hole. Sl st in each 19 ch and sl st across bottom in first hdc round about 9-10 times. Chain 19 and attach to hdc under the string next to the other whole (leaving 1 hdc between strap attachments), sl st in each 19 ch and fasten off.
- Sew the button between 3rd and 4th row from the top.
- Weave in all ends.
Make the whole Barbie outfit:
You may not sell my pattern or claim it as your own.
You may make items to sell (i.e. on Etsy, at craft fairs) from my pattern but I ask that you link back to my blog handmadebyraine.com and provide credit for the pattern.
You are welcome to share my pattern on social media as long as you link back directly to my blog post (providing the link). No copy & paste of my pattern will be allowed under any circumstances.