Halloween is almost here and it’s time to decorate our homes and figure out costumes. Here’s a little helpful idea, let’s crochet skull. It’s really quick and easy piece to make and it gives endless options to add the spooky vibe to your Halloween decorations.
To get you started, I will share two of my crochet skull ideas and hopefully they will inspire you this Halloween! You will also find written pattern of skull following the video tutorials.
First idea – Skull portrait
This first skull is a bit bigger in size – 4,5 inches wide and 5,5 inches long. I used 8 x 10 inch picture frame, textured dark gray background paper and Halloween stickers. And I crocheted the skull using medium size white yarn and crochet hook size 5 mm.
VIDEO TUTORIAL OF THE FIRST SKULL
Melissa Rhodes Thank you for this video. It’s the best I’ve found 👍
Second idea – Skull gloves
How about learning to crochet smaller skulls that you can attach to your costume. I think the skulls look really cool on black gloves, so in case you’re going to have a black and white theme going on with your Halloween costume, the gloves will surely add the extra skeletal vibe.
I use crochet hook size 3.25 mm and Patons Grace white cotton thread.
My Amazon picks:
VIDEO TUTORIAL OF THE SECOND SKULL
WRITTEN PATTERN OF CROCHET SKULL
If you prefer ad-free printable PDF pattern, you can get it on:
Abbreviations: ch = chain sl st = slip stitch sc = single crochet sc2tog = single crochet 2 together dc = double crochet
- Row 1 – chain 14, join with sl st in first ch to form a ring, ch 14 again, join with sl st to form figure 8.
- Row 2 – sc 19 into first ring, sl st in center, sc 19 in second ring, sl in center and fasten off.
- Row 3 – join in 7th sc st from center, sc 7 on first ring, jump over to second ring and sc 7, total 14 sc, turn.
- Row 4 – decrease both ends of row as follows: sc2tog, 10 sc across, sc2tog, turn.
- Row 5 – sc2tog, 8 sc, sc2tog, turn.
- Row 6 – sc2tog, 6 sc, sc2tog, turn.
- Row 7 – sc2tog, 4 sc, sc2tog, fasten off.
- Row 8 – to crochet bottom part of skull turn it upside down and join thread in 8th sc in first ring from the center, sc 5, skip 3 sc, ch 3, jump to next ring, skip 3 sc, sc 5, turn.
- Row 9 – skip 1st sc, sc in next 4 sc, sc 3 in 3-ch space, sc in next 4 sc, total 11 sc, turn.
- Row 10 – crochet teeth as follows: ch 4, sk 1 sc, dc in next sc, (ch1, skip 1 sc, dc in next sc) 4 times, turn.
- Row 11 – ch 4, dc in next dc, (ch 1, dc in next dc) 4 times.
- Row 12 – sc evenly around the skull, fasten off for smaller skull.
- Row 13 – sc in each sc around for bigger skull, fasten off.
You may not sell my pattern or claim it as your own.
You may make items to sell (i.e. on Etsy, at craft fairs) from my pattern but I ask that you link back to my blog handmadebyraine.com and provide credit for the pattern.
You are welcome to share my pattern on social media as long as you link back directly to my blog post (providing the link). No copy & paste of my pattern will be allowed under any circumstances.