Hygge Cowl and Hat are soft and cozy to keep warm in spring. They are inspired by and named after Red Heart fabulous fuzzy yarn called Hygge.
Do you know what Hygge is? Wikipedia says that Hygge is a Danish and Norwegian word for a mood of coziness and comfortable conviviality with feelings of wellness and contentment. I’m sure you will find all that when crocheting, wearing or gifting this Hygge cowl and hat set. Plus it’s easy to crochet using crosshatch stitch.
VIDEO TUTORIAL OF HYGGE COWL AND HAT
WRITTEN PATTERN OF HYGGE COWL AND HAT
I use Red Heart Hygge yarn which is bulky weight size 5, and the colors shown here are Pearl (color A) and Lavender (color B). 1 ball of each color is more than enough. Crochet hook is size 7 mm.
My Amazon picks:
Abbreviations: ch = chain sl st = slip stitch dc = double crochet sc = single crochet
- With color A ch 77 (the pattern is multiple of 7), sl st in 1st ch to make a ring.
- Round 1 – (ch 3, dc 1 in each next 3 ch, skip 3 ch, sc in next ch) 10 times, ch 3, dc 1 in each next 3 ch, now join color B as follows:
- Changing yarn on 1st round: take hook out of working loop and make a slip knot with color B, take hook out of knot, insert hook back through color A working loop, also insert hook through 1st stitch where 3ch started, pull color B slip knot through, sl st in next ch3-space.
- Round 2 – with color B ch 3 (counts as dc) and turn, (skip 2 dc, sc in next dc, ch 3, dc 3 in next ch3-space) 10 times, skip next 2 dc, sc in next dc, ch 3, dc 2 in next ch3-space, now join color A as follows:
- Changing yarn: move color A from front to back, with color B sl st in next sc, insert hook through next ch3-space and pull color A through.
- Round 3 – with color A repeat round 2, at the end of round change to color B as described in previous step.
- Rounds 4-9 – repeat rounds 2-3.
- Sl st in beginning stitch, fasten off, cut off.
- Rounds 1-9 – repeat 9 rounds of cowl.
- Round 10 – with color B ch 3 and turn, (skip 2 dc, sc in next dc, ch 2, dc 2 in next ch3-space) 10 times, skip next 2 dc, sc in next dc, ch 2, dc 1 in next ch3-space, join color A as before.
- Round 11 – with color A ch 3 and turn, (skip 1 dc, sc in next dc, ch 1, dc 2 in next ch2-space) 10 times, skip next dc, sc in next dc, ch 1, dc 1 in next ch2-space, join color B as before. Cut off color A.
- Round 12 – with color B ch 3 and turn, (skip 1 dc, sc in next dc, dc 2 in next ch1-space) 10 times, skip next dc, sc in next dc, dc 1 in next ch1-space, sl st in beginning 3rd ch.
- Round 13 – sl st in each dc, skip sc, sl st in beginning stitch, fasten off, cut off color B leaving longer tail for stitching.
- Using large tapestry needle and long tail stitch through the slip stitches and pull the opening tight, turn the hat inside out and make additional stitches to close the opening.
- Weave in all ends.
If you enjoy crocheting hats and beanies, check out all my patterns and tutorials here.
You may not sell my pattern or claim it as your own.
You may make items to sell (i.e. on Etsy, at craft fairs) from my pattern but I ask that you link back to my blog handmadebyraine.com and provide credit for the pattern.
You are welcome to share my pattern on social media as long as you link back directly to my blog post (providing the link). No copy & paste of my pattern will be allowed under any circumstances.