Let’s crochet this pretty fern leaf. This is my own version of crochet fern leaf, meaning that I created the specific stitch count to get the final size and shape of the leaf.
Back to the nature! It’s a perfect time to go out for a walk and admire these gorgeous plants we call ferns. I love the beautiful leaves we can crochet with thread and yarn because they look so real.
Please share the photo of your leaf on my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/handmadebyraine/
or Instagram @handmadebyraine
VIDEO TUTORIAL OF CROCHETING FERN LEAF
WRITTEN PATTERN OF FERN LEAF
If you prefer ad-free printable PDF pattern, you can get it on:
I use Aunt Lydia’s crochet thread size 10 for smaller light green leaf and crochet hook size 1.75 mm. For the bigger leaf in video tutorial I use crochet thread size 3 and crochet hook size 2.25 mm.
My Amazon Picks:
Pattern notes: The crochet leaf consists of stem and 13 pinnae (plural of pinna). Pinna is one of the leaflets that make up the whole fern leaf. And each pinna is made of small pinnules (individual sections) that are different sizes.
Abbreviations: ch = chain sl st = slip stitch
- Stem – ch 11
- Pinnae 1-3 = 19 pinnules
- 1-3 pinnules = ch 6, sl st in 2nd ch from hook and also in each next 4 ch (total 5 sl st) = 1st pinnule, ch6+slst5 twice more
- 4-5 pinnules = ch5+slst4 twice
- 6-7 pinnules = ch4+slst3 twice
- 8-12 pinnules = ch3+slst2 four times (the 3rd pinnule is the top of pinna), then sl st in space next to 1st ch3+slst2 and make one more ch3+slst2 (so you have 2 smallest pinnules on one side, 1 on top and 2 on the other side of the pinna)
- Important: each time you finish a pinnule on the 2nd side, sl st in space next to corresponding pinnule on the 1st side and then start next pinnule (please see the video for exact stitch placement)
- 13-14 pinnules = ch4+slst3 twice
- 15-16 pinnules = ch5+slst4 twice
- 17-19 pinnules = ch6+slst5 three times
- Ch 7 after 1st and 2nd pinna, ch 6 after 3rd pinna
- Pinnae 4-5 = 15 pinnules
- ch5+slst4 three times, ch4+slst3 twice, ch3+slst2 four times, sl st in space next to 1st ch3+slst2 and make one more ch3+slst2, ch4+slst3 twice, ch5+slst4 three times, same as before: each time you finish a pinnule on the 2nd side, sl st in space next to corresponding pinnule on the 1st side and then start next pinnule.
- Ch 6 after 4th pinna, ch 5 after 5th pinna
- Pinna 6 = 11 pinnules
- ch4+slst3 three times, ch3+slst2 four times, sl st in space next to 1st ch3+slst2 and make one more ch3+slst2, ch4+slst3 three times
- Ch 4
- Top pinna = repeat 1st pinna
- Sl st in 4 stem ch
- Pinna 8 = repeat 6th pinna
- Sl st in beg space of pinna (watch the video for stitch placement) and sl st in 5 stem ch
- Pinnae 9-10 = repeat 4th and 5th pinnae
- Between each pinna on the second side sl st into stem chains
- Pinnae 11-13 = repeat 1st pinna
- Sl st in 11 stem chains and fasten off
Check out my tutorial to crochet colorful maple leaves:
You may not sell my pattern or claim it as your own.
You may make items to sell (i.e. on Etsy, at craft fairs) from my pattern but I ask that you link back to my blog handmadebyraine.com and provide credit for the pattern.
You are welcome to share my pattern on social media as long as you link back directly to my blog post (providing the link). No copy & paste of my pattern will be allowed under any circumstances.