Summertime inspires to make colorful and joyful home decor pieces like this Butterfly Mug Rug. And since butterflies come in all possible colors, why not crochet this Butterfly Rug Mug in your favorite color palette. I did – pink and turquoise blue are my all-time faves.
With this pattern you will learn or practice tapestry crochet, which is how we can create the amazing images and shapes with crochet stitches. Also, waistcoat stitch, aka crochet knit stitch, that makes it look like it was knitted. Besides, I love the even look and firm texture it creates.
The Butterfly Mug Rug definitely needs blocking after you finish it. Make it wet, stretch it out on blocking mat and attach it with pins. I also spray some starch to give it extra firm shape. Let it dry completely before removing the pins.
VIDEO TUTORIAL OF BUTTERFLY MUG RUG
WRITTEN PATTERN OF BUTTERFLY MUG RUG
If you prefer ad-free printable PDF pattern, you can get it on:
I use Patons Grace cotton yarn. colors Snow (color A) and Lotus (color B). The blue color is called Aquifier. One ball has 136 yards and one ball of each color is enough. Crochet hook is size 3.5 mm. My mug rug measures about 6 inches long and 3.5 inches wide.
In case you want to use a different yarn, check out this great source for yarn substitution.
My Amazon picks:
Abbreviations: ch = chain sc = single crochet Special stitches: Waistcoat stitch = with each single crochet stitch insert hook between 2 vertical loops of sc on previous row instead of under horizontal loops as usual.
Pattern notes: Fasten off and cut off yarn at the end of each row. A1 = sc 1 with color A B2 = sc 2 with color B
- With color A ch 26, cut off, fasten off.
- Row 1 = with color A sc in each ch (26 sc).
- Row 2 = with color A and using waistcoat stitch sc 26.
- Row 3 = join color B by keeping it inside stitches, sc 9 with color A, don’t finish the last sc but keep last 2 loops on hook, change to color B and pull it through 2 loops (= switching colors here and throughout), sc 2 with color B keeping color A inside stitches, change to A and sc 4 (always keep the second thread inside the stitches), change to B and sc 2, change to A and sc 9.
- Row 4 = A8, B4, A2, B4, A8.
- Row 5 = A7, B3, A1, B1, A2, B1, A1, B3, A7.
- Row 6 = A6, B4, A6, B4, A6.
- Row 7 = A6, B3, A8, B3, A6.
- Row 8 = A7, B3, A6, B3, A7.
- Row 9 = A5, B2, A1, B3, A1, B2, A1, B3, A1, B2, A5.
- Row 10 = A4, B4, A2, B6, A2, B4, A4.
- Row 11 = A4, B6, A2, B2, A2, B6, A4.
- Row 12 = A3, B7, A2, B2, A2, B7, A3.
- Row 13 = A2, B4, A3, B2, A1, B2, A1, B2, A3, B4, A2.
- Row 14 = A2, B2, A7, B4, A7, B2, A2.
- Row 15 = A2, B3, A5, B1, A1, B2, A1, B1, A5, B3, A2.
- Row 16 = A3, B2, A4, B2, A4, B2, A4, B2, A3.
- Row 17 = A4, B2, A2, B2, A6, B2, A2, B2, A4.
- Row 18 = A3, B3, A1, B2, A8, B2, A1, B3, A3.
- Row 19 = A4, B4, A10, B4, A4.
- Row 20 = A5, B2, A12, B2, A5.
- Row 21 = A6, B1, A12, B1, A6.
- Rows 22-23 = A26.
- Trim the ends.
Would you like more gift ideas? Check out my other tutorials of crochet gifts.
You may not sell my pattern or claim it as your own.
You may make items to sell (i.e. on Etsy, at craft fairs) from my pattern but I ask that you link back to my blog handmadebyraine.com and provide credit for the pattern.
You are welcome to share my pattern on social media as long as you link back directly to my blog post (providing the link). No copy & paste of my pattern will be allowed under any circumstances.